The workshops (known in some disciplines as symposia, seminars or conferences) to be organised in 2012/13 will be the subject of a competition open to all University of Surrey academic and research staff. The deadline for bids is Friday 18th October 2013.
The successful bids will each be awarded:
- A grant of up to £5,000 towards the cost of running the workshop. This may be used to pay for conference facilities, publication of proceedings, participants' travel, accommodation and registration fees as required. Organisers are expected to 'match' the funding provided by IAS with funds from other sources. This includes registration fees. The Institute does not normally sponsor or contribute to events with more than about 60 participants.
- Some assistance with the administration of the meeting which might include issuing invitations, dealing with registration and enquiries and producing welcome packs (Please also refer to the guidelines for general information on organising a workshop).
The main criteria for choosing between bids will be:
- The nature of the topic — is it original, multi-disciplinary, likely to lead to significant advances?
- The likelihood of attracting international scholars.
- The link to researchers at University of Surrey.
- The impact that support from the IAS is likely to make.
Bids should consist of:
- The names and affiliations of the proposers and organisers, and of the programme committee if there is one. The main organiser should be from the University of Surrey and the meeting must be held on the University of Surrey campus.
- The proposed 'Call for contributions' to the meeting, i.e. the text that will be sent to invited participants and/or distributed widely to attract contributions.
- A one page description of the topic of the proposed meeting, explaining clearly how it fits the criteria listed above.
- An approximate budget (the IAS Co-ordinator, see below, can assist with estimates).
- Additional source(s) of funding. (State whether this is already secured or has been applied for.)
- A plan for publishing papers from the workshop.
Thirteen paper copies of the bids including the above details should be sent to the IAS Co-ordinator (Mirela Dumic, room 21AD03, Department of Sociology) to arrive by Friday 18th October 2013.
For further information, please contact: